Tuesday 27 October 2009

Veggie no more?

So, I've been a veggie for almost 20 years now... wow.

10 years ago I donated a kidney to my uncle over in the good old US of A. He had polycystic disease and really needed a new kidney to survive.

http://www.uktransplant.org.uk/ukt/newsroom/life_stories/story.jsp?id=33

After the op, things were ok for a while. Then I started catching every cold and virus going and the Dr's told me that my immune system had been affected. So I've soldiered on and suffered many coughs and colds but now it's getting to be a joke. I've had lots of colds this year, but I also caught seasonal flu and just last week had a viral infection that I'm still getting over.....

The Dr has told me that I need to change the way I'm looking after myself. With 2 strikes against me (being veggie and only having one kidney) meant that I needed to look after myself more than normal people.

So, I've decided to stop being as much of a veggie and I had my first bacon sandwich after nearly 20 years...... OMG! Maybe not such a big deal to most of you, but it's a big deal to me.

I became veggie after watching a programme on how we treat our animals before we murder them for our consumption.... not nice at all. I still did eat fish, like tuna and haddock, on occasion, but didn't touch red meat or chicken.

I feel a bit guilty after eating that bacon sandwich, but I guess it's time to look after number 1 now, and in case you'd forgotten who we're talking about.... that's me!!

No comments: